Shabbat Roundup: Service Tonight, Torah and Boost Sunday, Mussar, Community, and Black History
Shabbat Shalom, Nefesh community! Here’s a look at what’s coming up. We hope to connect with you soon! Our next service together is tonight, Friday, February 5, 7pm Pacific.
- SHABBAT: Details for tonight, an article on rest; Jewish-Black brotherhood
- VIDEOS: New videos this week from Rabbi Susan on Mussar (Middot Study) and our first Instagram Live
- COMMUNITY: See our week in review in the Nefesh blog. Nefesh Kin Rebecca Sacks’ first book, Tikkun Collective update, Poetry class (all month), and Nefesh Mixtape
- RESOURCES & SURVEYS: Jews of Color Survey and Nefesh Survey: Community Perspectives on Israel and Palestine, plus Jewish Black History Lesson Plan
- Tonight Nefesh is joined by guests from Bend the Arc: SoCal chapter. They will speak briefly about the work they do and we will have oneg afterward to reflect on why we do justice work and what sustains and inspires us. 7pm Pacific / Zoom
- From the Jewish Journal:
After this Shabbat rest, join us for a New Series:
Intro to Mussar starts Sunday, Feb 7
Join us for our monthly Nefesh Boost led by Rabbi Susan Goldberg
- Torah Study 11am PT: Join Rabbi Susan as she opens wide the stories of our ancestors in the Torah bringing an intimacy and shared imagination
- Intro to Mussar 1pm PT: Join us from anywhere for learning and engaged practice of Mussar. What is Mussar?
- Instagram Live: Rabbi Susan with Duvid, Ashrei: Join Rabbi Susan Goldberg on Instagram Live Wednesdays, featuring Nefesh Musicians and featured guests!
- What is Mussar? Rabbi Susan Goldberg explains Mussar, the spiritual wisdom and a discipline of transformative practices. The foundations of Mussar are the middot, the deepest values, soul traits of our tradition – Ometz Lev (Courage) Bitachon (Trust) Anavah (Humility) Rachamim (Compassion) and so many more. (New video February 2)
This Week at the Nefesh Blog
We’ve been posting daily this week: it’s Black History Month, our community is active and engaged, and we have new classes. Check it out.
Photos from June 18 Reentry Shabbat
What a joy to be together again, Halleluyah! Photos by Brian Joseph
Shabbat Round-Up: Service Saturday, In-Person in Echo Park, Actions, Avodah, & Pride!
Join us Saturday morning for Shabbat service, and in-person in Echo Park June 18! Inside:…
Nefesh’s New Location in Echo Park, and First In-Person Service June 18!
Re-entry! Integration! Transition! SO much Joy—Simchah—as we approach the re-opening of society and in-person gathering
Superbloom: We Made Our Goal! Shabbat Friday, and a Healing / Integration Playlist
Join Nefesh for Kabbalat Shabbat Friday, and join other community members in person soon! And…
Resources & Surveys
- Please share this survey from the Jews of Color Initiative: https://gse.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3eqj8R4roXgrsC9
- Nefesh Survey: Community Perspectives on Israel and Palestine
- Check out this amazing Jewish Black History Lesson Plan Resource by Tarece L. Johnson, MBA, MPA, EdD (Google Doc)