Shabbat Roundup: Service Saturday, Second Nurture, Kin & Community, and Black History
Shabbat Shalom, Nefesh community! Here’s a look at what’s coming up. Our next service together is tomorrow, Saturday, February 13, 9:30am PT.
- SHABBAT Saturday, and Second Nurture cohort Sunday
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH updates
- Nefesh Kin including Zackary Drucker and Craig Wedren. What are you creating?
- Next Week: Coming up are Queer Jews, PURIM, Mensch Reimagined, and Nefesh on Instagram Live
Join Us This Weekend
- Join us for Saturday Torah service! Shabbat begins with 9:30am Kids Jam, then immediately into 10am full service (Pacific time). 7pm Pacific / Zoom
- Second Nurture Cohort meets Sunday, February 14, 10am. You are most welcome to join to talk and learn about foster and adoption
Black History Month
- We recognize and elevate Black History Month! See our Facebook and Instagram all month for more, and we’ll be adding links, stories, and more to our blog
- We Must Renew Jewish-Black Brotherhood (Jewish Journal)
- Please share this survey from the Jews of Color Initiative: (Survey link)
- Check out this amazing Jewish Black History Lesson Plan Resource by Tarece L. Johnson, MBA, MPA, EdD (Google Doc)
- Follow Nesh Magazine for more on inspirational Black Jews; Nesh Magazine aims to be the world’s first publication about Queer Jewish people, culture, and issues ✡️🌈 and they’re taking submissions
- Attend Jews of Color Virtual Shabbat on Friday, 2/26 at 5:30 p.m. A coming-together for people of color who identify as Jewish, no matter their level of involvement. Get to know each other during a “cook-along,” delivery of a meal kit will be coordinated for you at no cost. Register by 2/12: (Registration)
Nefesh Kin: Our Community
- Nefesh Kin Craig Wedren has a new song and video (below). You may know him from the tremendous sound baths he creates!
- The WONDERFUL Zackary Drucker has directed a new show for HBO – The Lady and The Dale. Big Congratulations Zackary! Here is an article in Time – We All Have to Create Our Own Universe.’ Producer and Artist Zackary Drucker on Telling Nuanced Trans Stories
- Check out this amazing offering from Nefesh Community Weaver, Ian Schiffer: Mensch Reimagined – How Masculine People Build a Culture of Nurturance. Begins March 3
- ICYMI: In case you missed it, Nefesh in the Jewish Journal. Outreach Temple Nefesh Brings Soul and Spirit to the Eastside
Craig Wedren on Youtube
Next Week with Nefesh
- Instagram Live Wednesdays: Join Rabbi Susan Goldberg on Instagram Live Wednesdays, featuring Nefesh Musicians and featured guests!
- Writing Ourselves into the Story: Torah-Poetry Discussion and Workshop Thursday February 18
- Nefesh Friday Shabbat February 19
- Queer Jewish Book Club continues Sunday February 21 and all are welcome!
- Nefesh White Jewish Antiracist Continuing Dialogue series meets for our second journey together
Coming Up Next
- Purim is coming! Mark your calendars for our Thursday February 25 celebration with noise, games, and reading (Details)
More Reads & Resources
- The Radical Beauty of Queering the Torah, Shelly Jay Shore, Hey Alma, February 10, 2021
- Are you a courageous and compassionate leader looking to make a difference alongside the Jewish community? Serve the Moment mobilizes young adults and college students (ages 18-29) through a part-time stipended fellowship program from March 15-May 21, 2021 (Join the Corps)
- Rainbow Lev: Jewish LGBTQ+ Teen Leadership Program begins March 3 (Ritualwell)