Nefesh Sunday Boost: Torah Study
December 6, 2020 @ 11:00 am – 12:15 pm
Their Stories, Our Stories
Torah study Sundays November – May (adults) and November through January (kids)
Join Rabbi Susan as she opens wide the stories of our ancestors in the Torah bringing an intimacy and shared imagination. This class we will focus on the stories of our beautiful and flawed matriarchs and patriarchs that hold such possibility for exploration in our lives. Enter into the narratives and poetics that have shaped our people over the centuries and continue to everyday. And what about what is not in the text? Who are those that are in Torah but with little voice? What are the stories calling out to be heard? Rabbi Susan will share story, text, song, poetry to deepen and widen an endless path of Torah.
You are encouraged to attend the whole series but welcome to attend the ones you are able. Each session will center in a different story and all levels of Torah learning experience are welcome from first timers to regulars.
Adults & Parents: November to May
- First Sundays: Nov 1 & Dec 6, 2020;
- Jan 10, 2021 (2nd Sunday);
- Feb 7, March 7, April 4, May 2
11:00 – 12:15 Torah study with Rabbi Susan Goldberg
Designed for all levels and experience. We will dive into the layers of meaning in our ancient texts and discover connections to our lived experiences.
- Text: JPS Hebrew/English Tanach: https://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-English-Tanakh-Jewish-Publication-Society/dp/0827606974/
12:30 – 1:30pm Middah Study Group
Children: November through January
- Nov 1 & Dec 6, 2020; Jan 10, 2021 (Sundays)
- 9:30 – 9:35 Gather
- 9:35 – 10:00 Morning Service (25 minutes)
A dynamic, music filled, morning service for the whole family with Rabbi Susan and the Nefesh musicians. We will be learning while doing! The service will be an opportunity to learn and experience the prayers/poems in a way that creates meaning and connection. Here is one of our prayers/songs, Courage.
- 10:00 – 10:30 Torah storytelling – broken out by “classes” K – 2; 3 – 4; 5 – 6.
Learning our people’s stories from the Torah in developmentally appropriate and creative ways.
- 10:30 – 10:45 Middah study: Group conversation led by Rabbi Susan Goldberg, about a middah that we will be working on together, such as chesed (kindness), rachamim (compassion); savlanut (patience); zerizut (enthusiasm).