Shabbat Shalom, Nefesh community! We’d love for you to join us for our upcoming Shabbat services:
- Service Saturday, June 12 on Zoom: 9:30am Family Jam 10am service Pacific Time / Saturday Zoom here
- Re-Entry Shabbat June 18 in Echo Park: our first in-person gathering together since COVID times began! Full details here
Table Of Contents
Second Nurture Cohort 👩👩👧👦👨👧👦
- Second Nurture 6/13: The Nefesh Second Nurture Cohort monthly gathering is this Sunday June 13th at 10am. Discussion and support for cohort members as well as newcomers who are considering short or long-term fostering and/or adopting from LA County Foster Care
Tikkun Olam and Social Justice ✊🏾 ⚖️
- We encourage you to read my (Ian’s) favorite article ever; Aurora Levins Morales, an incredible Puerto Rican Jewish feminist writer, wrote Embracing Rootedness and Radical Genealogy (very short) which shares an invitation into specific healing and repair that is possible for each of us through choosing courageously in response to racism
- Nefesh Tikkun Collective Housing Action Hour, Weds June 16, 2021 07:00 PM Pacific Time: Join the Nefesh Tikkun Collective for an Action Hour on Housing Justice. Our first 30 minutes will be for people interested in Nefesh’s Tikkun Collective and then 7:30-8:30PT will be focusing primarily on taking action for housing justice in Los Angeles and statewide. Together we’ll pressure decision makers to support policies and actions through phone calls, emails, petitions, and more. Everyone is welcome! bit.ly/sukkatshalom
- Recording from the housing justice teach-in June 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ftasNQWYNgVLr_0gdK0kIDMatuOhYZPq/view?usp=sharing
- LA Voice will also be continuing with Part 2 which will focus on housing solutions on TU the 15th, 6-7:30 PT, please watch the recording in advance if you missed Part 1. RSVP here: bit.ly/lavhousing2
- Turn your passion into action with the Jewish Service Corps: If you’re between the ages of 21-26 and excited to work, live, and learn at the intersection of activism and Jewish life, you could have a place in Avodah’s growing community. Apply today and spend a year serving for justice in New York City, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, DC, or their newest city, San Diego. Visit avodah.net/serve to learn more and apply.
- Are you a Jew of Color (JOC) seeking to build and live in a community with other justice-minded JOC? Join their first ever JOC Bayit (home) in Avodah’s Jewish service corps, where you will live in New York City with fellow 21-26 year old JOC while working at a local non-profit organization! Your participation in the JOC Bayit will afford you the opportunity to expand your JOC network and refine your leadership skills within a Jewish social justice framework. Apply today to be a part of this groundbreaking racially diverse cohort at avodah.net/serve.
For Queer Jews and Pride Month 🏳️🌈 🏳️⚧️
- Emet, the Nefesh Speaker Series launched with Abby Stein, trans author and activist, on Tuesday May 25. We were thrilled to have Abby, author of Becoming Eve, in conversation with acclaimed artist, director and Emmy-nominated producer Nefesh Kin Zackary Drucker, producer of the Emmy-winning series Transparent, whose most recent project is Lady and the Dale on HBO
- Watch the Abby Stein video here if you missed it
- Co-sponsor Kol Ami‘s Book Circle selected Becoming Eve for this month’s book club virtually on Sat., June 26th @ 4PT for a discussion, followed by Havdalah. Anyone is welcome to participate. More info/sign up here: https://www.kol-ami.org/event/book-circle-becoming-eve.html Nefesh’s Queer Jewish Culture Club will be joining and doing a happy hour after!
- Co-sponsor BCC wishes you all a meaningful pride month and looks forward to welcoming you to one of their programs, including PRIDE SHABBAT tonight, June 11!
- Safe Zone Training 6/15, Tuesday: Queer identities can be complex. Along with J.Q. International, the Jewish Federation and NuRoots are proud to share a virtual LGBTQ+ inclusion and allyship training, open to everyone and designed to help answer any and all questions about gender identity, expression, language, and inclusive actions. If you’re ready to go more in-depth in your awareness, take the first step in your LGBTQ+ literacy, or discover what Jewish tradition has to say about being an ally, this is for you!
- interview with some elders who were at the stonewall riots
- Short article about cooper donut riots in la 1959, 10 years pre stonewall!
- pink peacock website and their queer midsummer party
- IIYC Two-Spirit/LGBTQ+ Talking Circle 6/18 6PT (more on iiyc.la instagram)
- Nefesh Queer Jewish Culture Club returns soon! Want to join? Have a movie, book, or speaker to suggest?
Video: NIF, Israel, and Nefesh Song
- Did you join us with New Israel Fund for Bridging the Divide: NIF’s Work in today’s Crisis yesterday, June 7? Here’s the 6/7 recording on Vimeo
- You can also also find NIF’s wonderful May 12 recording of Jerusalem in Crisis: What’s happening, what’s being done, what’s needed on Facebook
- Od Yavo Shalom Aleinu with Duvid and Sally for your Shabbat:
Shabbat Shalom, friends!